Siding Glossary

The world of siding comes with its own list of words that if you are thinking about having siding installed on your home, you should learn. Although knowing all of the glossary terms for siding are probably not necessary, having a good understanding of each factor is. With this information, you can be more educated, asking manufacturers questions so you can get the best product for the money.

Backerboard - Flat material used on the face of the house, which is applied in between studs and siding. Backerboard is used to create an even surface when it comes time to install vinyl siding.

Buttlock - Bottom edge of siding or soffit panel, considered an accessory that is placed opposite nailing slots to help lock onto preceding siding panels

Channel - Part of a corner post or accessory trim where panels are inserted. Often, channels are referred to as trim, which are then named for the alphabet resemblance such as F-channel, J-channel, etc.

Course - Row of panels, which are one panel wide that run the entire length of the house or if vertical siding were being installed, from the top of the home to the bottom

Drip Cap - Head Flashing Accessory that is installed for vertical siding. With a Drip Cap, often called Head Flashing, water falls away from panels, not penetrating them.

Double Channel Lineal - Siding accessory that is designed to join two soffit panels

Face - Side of a panel that shows after installation

Face Nailing - Fastening nails onto the front or face side of the panel

Fascia - Trim that covers the roof rafter ends

Fascia Board - Board that attaches to the ends of the rafters between the soffit overhang and roofing

Fascia Cap or Cover - Covering that goes around the Fascia Board

Flashing - Thin piece of material that is positioned underneath or behind corner posts, windows, J-channels, and so on, typically made of aluminum

Furring - Also called Furring Strip made from 1x2-inch wood to help even a surface as a part of the preparation for installation

Lap - Point of overlap the sides of two siding panels to help with contraction and expansion

Lug/Crimp - Raised tabs on a siding panel, which is made by a snap lock punch used for locking the panel into place

Miter - Tool that allows a diagonal cut to be made on an overlapping siding or soffit panel, thus creating a more professional appearance

Nailing Hem - Also known as the Flange, this section of siding is where the nailing slots are found

Plumb - Measurement or position that is exactly and perfectly vertical, 90 degrees from a level surface

Rake Roof - Inclined part of the roof that projects over the edge of a slope

Rake Wall - Board or molding used along the sloping sides of a gable, covering the siding ends

Scoring - Utility knife blade, scoring tool, sharpened awl, or some other type of tool that is capable of cutting completely through siding panel

Sealant - Compounds used to seal joints or fill holes in siding and other materials

Shim - Material used to help even a surface prior to siding installation

Soffit - Material that is used for enclosing the horizontal underside of a overhang, cornice, or eave

Starter Strip - Accessory that is applied to the surface of the home, helping to secure the first set of siding panels

Underlayment - Weather resistant material that goes underneath vinyl siding panels

Utility Trim - Piece of trim used to secure siding

Weep Holes - Special openings cut into siding panels to help with water runoff